Saturday, 14 May 2016

Favourite Yankee Candles

yankee candle image
 Here's a little nugget about me, I have a candle problem. A really big one.


Yes, I am that basic, and do I even care?

Here's an example. Following a particularly bad Monday last week, and while waiting for Rhys to pick me up from Bridgend (the halfway point to my office), I shimmied through McArthur Glen and hobbled as quickly as my little legs could take me before anyone could stop me. I was a free woman in financial denial. No one could stop the magic that was about to happen.

All of a sudden, I'm at the till with 8 boxes of tealights and a large jar. Before you judge, it cost me a grand total of £26 and I'm incredibly proud. 

A couple of years ago, Rhys and I started obsessing over Yankee Candles. As soon as we bought Salted Caramel, we knew it was love. We find that candles work better for our apartment than diffusers or plug-ins, and we can't help but take advantage of outlet discounts. Even while we were in Florida in November, we were hauling Christmas candles. Don't get me wrong- some candles are a complete disappointment, but as I tend to gear towards foody scents, I never seem to find the strength of the scent an issue. 

To my disappointment, while we were at the Orlando International Premium Outlets, Bath and Body Works just didn't cut it for me, and I retreated back to my favourite. The look of love that was exchanged between the Yankee Candle outlet and Rhys and I, would put a newlywed couple to shame. We were the human equivalent of the heart eye emoji, and I got so carried away that my hand luggage was searched at security. Apparently candles look suspicious, who knew?
yankee candle collection image

Gingerbread Maple

What a gift from God. I bought two of these in Florida and was gifted another. I now have another two jars and a box of tealights, so it's safe to say it's a favourite. This smells exactly how you would imagine it to. Sweet, spicy, and insanely comforting.

Christmas Cookie

This is another one that was first purchased for me a few years ago by Jen, the same friend who found Gingerbread Maple for me. I'll admit, I do prefer the sweet, over the top foody options that can be found in a Yankee Candle jar, and this is no exception. This buttery and sugary scent is basically heaven, and I can't get enough of it.

Snowflake Cookie

I'm starting to see a pattern here. If you come into our apartment, chances are it smells like a bakery all year round. This one is lighter than Christmas Cookie, so if you love a sweet smell but are looking for something less powerful, this is the one for you.

Caramel Pecan Pie
yankee candle caramel pecan pie image


I can't bear to burn this. I just can't do it. I like sniffing it on a regular basis, and as soon as I have my next emotional meltdown I'll probably give it a real go.

For fruity scents, I'm a big fan of anything with cranberry. Cranberry Pear was part of the Christmas 2014 collection, and I'm still obsessed with it and have repurchased on Amazon. Cranberry Ice, Black Cherry, Sicilian Lemon and Sugared Apple are also some firm favourites.

Another one of my all time favourites which I cannot find anywhere is Margarita Time, which although is a retired scent can still be found reformulated as Vanilla Lime and Margarita Party (Yankee Candle Simply Home), but isn't the same. I just want a candle that smells like my old mistakes and tequila, and this is it. It's sweet, refreshing, and exactly like my favourite cocktail.