Friday, 20 June 2014

Nailed it: Essie Watermelon

essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer

Recently, a terrible thing happened. I found myself bored of all of my nail polishes. Even summer shades like tropical oranges and deep ocean turquoises. I was even sick of pink nails, and I was upset about it. So it wasn't exactly a devastating turn for the worst, but I was at a loss for what to do with my hands. If it had carried on much longer I may have needed some lace gloves and a new ladylike alter ego, because bare nails are not exactly my thing. First world problems, indeed.

Then I suddenly had 3 new ones out of nowhere. My bad, you guys. Besides, the situation was clearly out of my control. When I bought a little glass bottle of Essie happiness on Monday, my face was about to fall off while I waited for my antibiotics to be dispensed. If you ever have a wisdom tooth, come and complain with me and my inflamed and infected gums. I'd also been lusting after this colour for a couple of weeks. Human nature controls my common sense, because I always want what I don't have or what I see on Instagram. 


essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer
Watermelon, £7.99
Very important announcement: I may have just found a summer signature colour for my nails. One thing I will say though, is that even when we transition to deep burgundies and burnt reds for the Autumn, this is a year round colour. Another plus? It definitely isn't a strict hands or toes shade, which is always a bonus. 

Watermelon by Essie is described as a creamy red, but I would argue that this is definitely more on the pink side. Besides being a cheerful mix caught between deep fuchsia and red, it is so easy to apply. Patience is not one of my solid traits, and I'm terrible at applying nail polish. The right hand is usually a hot mess and I end up fiddling with cotton wool buds for far too much time. 
essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer
essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer
The formula is particularly smooth and I found 2 coats was more than enough. Due to the wide brush the application was quick and easy, even for a shaky home manicurist like myself. 

I'm not one for long, scratchy claws or a super fussy hand parade with a nail art pen, so I definitely pick out statement nail polishes to compensate.The only extra step I took was to apply the Nails Inc Caviar topcoat a day after applying because the shine faded slightly (as is to be expected with any polish without a decent topcoat). I experienced minimal chipping, which was mainly thanks to excessive dishwashing.

essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer
It isn't exactly fuschia, but it is a happy raspberry pink. Depending on the light it can look more one way than the other, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because its youthfully vibrant concotion of pink and red and is perfect for this time of year. It will actually look beautiful next to an ice cream cone or that cocktail you're sipping on the terrace. Basically, it is a colour that will compliment whatever you're wearing and whatever you're doing. 
essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer

essie, watermelon, swatches, pink nails, red nails, review, summer, twitter