Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Goldilocks Face Time - Benefit: Hello Flawless and The Porefessional

After some debate over which foundation to buy next, I was caught between two choices; MAC Studio Fix and the much hyped Benefit Hello Flawless. The decision was made when I went into Debenhams and the MAC counter was far too busy for me to find a match. After seeing my sister use Hello Flawless and with some hard earned tips to burn, I headed to the Benefit counter. After being matched up to the right shade, I also invested in the much loved Porefessional, Benefit's most popular and infamous primer.



Hello Flawless: Oxygen Wow Brightening Makeup (£25.50 at Debenhams)

 The good: Its a very light formula and is oil-free, it feels so lightweight and once it's blended it gives a lovely natural looking coverage. I'd say this foundation works a lot better on lighter tones, my sister is more ivory and the foundation sets lovely on her. The match for my skin was caught between I'm so money - Honey and I'm all the rage - Beige, and I chose Honey out of fear that the darker shade might leave me looking like a dirty potato. The packaging pretty much sells itself, and you're given a sample inside the box of Benefit Hello Flawless 15 hour primer.

The bad: I found this difficult to blend, I prefer to use a foundation brush so I don't waste anything - but this is virtually impossible with Hello Flawless. It ends up streaky in areas and you find yourself touching up for a while after - it sticks in creases and around eyebrows if you're not careful with it. The coverage is lovely if I build it up, but one coat isn't enough for my skin so I end up using more of it than I would like. It feels as if it dissolves into my face within an hour of being in work in a busy bar. In retrospect, MAC would have probably been a better fit for my skin as it is a lot heavier which is what I need for work.

Packaging: 5/5
Product: 3.5/5
Brand: 5/5 - It's rare that I end up disappointed with a Benefit product.


 The POREfessional Primer (£24.50 at Debenhams)

The good: This is so perfect there aren't even any words. This is one product that is worth all the beauty blogger hype. It leaves your skin feeling smooth and I tried applying foundation without it the other day and noticed the difference. It minimises the appearance of pores and it's more of a balm than anything so it sits nicely beneath your foundation without you even realising that it's there.

The bad: I've used quite a lot already, so it's a bit expensive if you intend to use it on a daily basis, but you do get what you pay for.

Packaging: 5/5
Product: 4.5/5

Goldilocks Tip: Moisturise - As a rule, you don't need to do this if you are using a primer as they can peel off. Leave your moisturiser sink in for at least 10 minutes, then apply the primer. Personally, I found it worked a lot better for me.