Thursday, 11 July 2013

Class of 2012: One Year On, Two Credit Cards Later

Time flies when you're having fun. And when you're sinking into debt. C'est la vie, friends. We are not in it alone. That day was almost a year ago, when we looked ahead with ferocity and a slight naivety towards the job market.

Unfortunately for me, I am one of those made for movies sorts - I have not exactly achieved my goals since that beautiful rainy day where I tipped my cap to the alumni. I am the character that has the over dramatic scenarios bull dose their way towards my general direction. I have lost friends, moved out, found work - but strictly in hospitality. For a while it seemed like even that was a challenge. Thanks for that 6p tip, buddy.


The graduates of 2013 face similar road blocks to our own classmates and friends. Graduate jobs are decreasing, and demand is higher than ever. The current outlook is bleak with a chance of dismal, with 4% fewer graduate employment opportunities than this time last year. New grads versus old grads, old grads versus older, more exhausted but competitive grads. It won't stop, but we have to believe that when it is meant to happen that it will. Eventually there will be jobs, and then there will even be writing jobs and I will be able to afford the good cheese. Hallelujah.

Some success stories of my friends and foes have included my current house mate who successfully gained a graduate job in finance. It's snap cup time, snaps for you Emily Lewis - you go Emily Lewis. One of my old Swansea house mates travelled to Australia while studying his masters, and another has a steady income and a comfortable life in Bristol. Even if the job does make him grimace, at least there's a graceful and steady flow of money. And if you're like me, you know the ways in which money can buy instant bursts of happiness. Snaps. One person, not a favourite, seemed to walk their way into a job similar to what I wanted, despite being less experienced. Drat. But snaps none the less. One of my greatest friends went back to do her MA in PR and Media, but can only find work like myself. Snaps for us, for doing the jobs no one else wants.

Class of 2012, take a bow. Our year is up and we have worked hard, but it doesn't stop there. We need a new strategy, it's time to hit the books.