Sunday, 21 April 2013

Things My Daddy Taught Me.

When I went to university, I got on with my parents far better than I ever did when I lived at home. When I moved back home after graduating, I reverted back to a stroppy teenage mentality. When I left home again, I regressed into a dreamy and helpless childlike state, and realised how much I took for granted. People are easily misunderstood. During my teenage years there wasn't a moment where I actually understood my father. As I got older, it became easier. We can agree on what to watch on Sky now, which obviously is the most important thing in life. While we're on that subject, the fact my dad voluntarily watches MTV's The Valleys, and enjoys it, means he earns his share of dad points.


Lessons from Daddy

1. Don't be a doormat: Always give people a second chance because even good people make the worst mistakes, but if they wrong you a second time then cut the tie. Be kind, but don't ever lose your spine.

2. You can probably survive driving without an exhaust back box for the Summer, and it won't sound any worse than it did before.

3. How to make the best cheese omelettes so I won't starve, no matter how poor I am. Eggs = Broke girl food.

4. If you're ever in a position to help somebody, you should do it.

5. How to drive. Even when I wanted to punch him in the face when he tried.

6. Family, and everything that means. Again, even when I want to drop kick them, family is blood. You don't get more terrifyingly bound to anyone than that.

7. You're never too old to ask for help. Thanks for paying my car tax, Dad.

8. No matter how many cups of tea I make him, he'll always waste half a mug. Speaking of tea, I also know how to make one that tastes as it should, not "like piss" as my dad would so eloquently say.

9. You'll always have to work hard - sometimes you have to do thankless jobs in order to survive.

10. Even after you leave home, even when you think you're all grown up and there's nothing left to learn - you can always go back. We can be as independently-thinking as we like, we can be as stubborn as we like, but sometimes all little girls need their daddies.